Thursday 8 March 2007

First Email

I received an interesting email today from my first known reader (one I can put a name or attribute a comment to), about a story I commented on in my March 5th Round-up about a supposedly racist comment made by a Texas radio DJ. Here it is in full:

Ben:
You write that you "find it difficult to believe Allred is racist when just before the 'darky' comment he says of Obama, 'He's a likable guy.'"
You are gullible, Ben. Yes, he said Obama was likable. But he was dripping with sarcasm, which should have been apparent to you even without hearing the audio, because immediately after saying Obama was likable he called him a "clean darky." Get it?
You also write: "It could be a joke, in which case it's absolutely fine, despite what PC tosspots will have you believe. The man said after the commercial break: 'See, I was making fun of politicians who say things like that.' Of course, the columnist writing this up doesn't seem inclined to believe him."
Here's what that's about: A Democrat U.S. Senator from Delaware running for President, Joe Biden, a man with no history of racism in his political background, said of Obama that he was "articulate and clean." This cause Biden some discomfort because some took it to mean that Obama wasn't "dirty" like, say, a typical black person In fact, Biden had clearly meant by "clean" that Obama didn't have any political baggage or scandals in his background or skeletons in his closet. That was apparent to anybody who knew of Joe's politics and heard what he'd said. Still, he had to explain it after it came out in print.
The two DJ's on the radio knew perfectly well what Biden had meant by his use of the word "clean." But of course, it didn't stop them from making a joke and calling Obama a "clean darky." Darky is a totally unacceptable and derogatory term for black folks. It is right up there with "nigger." Completely and utterly beneath contempt to say those words. But he did, just for laughs.

And actually, Ben, this DJ in Austin, Texas is a well known ass, old and in his 70's, who says stupid things all the time.
He just went a little too far this time, although it clearly didn't translate across the pond to where you are.

I'm happy that I've at last got a response to something I've written and discussion and debate on these issues is always welcome. I am also happy to be made aware of the facts as this gentleman has kindly done so.

Nevertheless, I still have trouble with the point being made. It seems to be accepted that Allred was making a joke based on the misunderstanding surrounding Biden's remarks. The main issue of contention is the use of the word "darky".

I'm split on this. On the one hand the words "darky" and "nigger" are not nice words that I would use. But a couple of points should be made. Allred, according to this email, is in his seventies. Look back to his heyday and these kinds of words were a lot more acceptable than they are now. We know old people are slow to change. I can recall an incident last year in which my own grandmother referred to black people as "darky people". I know there was no malicious intent in it, and in fact at the time we all laughed and gently corrected her on modern etiquette. It's simply a force of habit for people of this age.

Again, that does not mean that the word "darky" is a nice one, but I would certainly say that it is simply the product of a generation to whom it was not an issue.

The other point is the larger one I've raised here a few times before: that of the way race-related words seem to take precedence over others on the Offence-o-meter. Why SHOULD "darky" or even "nigger" be offensive to any reasonably civilised black person? It is only a word. Are they so thin-skinned that they are unable to rise above such language?

If I was to walk down the street and call someone a stupid fatty, a stupid baldy, a stupid four-eyes, a stupid anything else, not a thing could be done to prevent me. However, if I was to call them a stupid darky I would quickly find myself in court. Why is this? Not that I would do any of those things, but RACISM IS AS LOW-DOWN A FORM OF DISCRIMINATION OR BULLYING AS ANYTHING ELSE. It's not big and it's not clever, but if it is to be considered taboo in this day and age then I suggest that other non-racist words which could be taken in an insulting way are also made taboo.

Or preferably, they all remain "legal". That, my friends, is freedom of speech, and I defend it whole-heartedly.

It would be nice if this e-mailer could continue to come to the site and post comments. I have made comments open to anyone; not just BlogSpot members, so he is welcome to stop by, as is anyone else interested in discussing these issues. I'd like to thank him for the insightful email and wish him a good day.

No comments: