Thursday 9 October 2008

Round-up

1. This piece at the Guardian says: "Do people really want to join an organisation that has racist tendencies and policies and repressive practices limiting progress and ambition? The London-based Black Police Association (BPA) clearly thinks not."

Oh, give over. Kent chief constable Mike Fuller is black, as are other high-ranking police officials.

2. Half-Brazilian, half-Italian defender Fabiano Santacroce has received his first call up to the Italian national football team from coach Marcello Lippi for the upcoming World Cup qualifying matches. The 22-year-old Napoli stopper, who has dark skin due to his Brazilian heritage, wanted to emphasize that he doesn't see his call up as a victory over racism, which is still an issue in certain parts of Italy.

"I have never felt like a victim of racism," he said. "But if someone did insult me I would just laugh, what else am I supposed to do? I suffered a little from racism as a kid when I played with the junior ranks, as there were some stupid people around, but I mostly ignored it."

Santacroce is a very sensible, level-headed man.

No comments: