Friday 22 February 2008

Compare and Contrast

My music share this week is two songs from the same band: Norwegian metallers Sirenia. I'm posting two because they make an interesting comparison. This first one is off their most recent album, and it's called "My Mind's Eye". It's short, sharp, catchy female-fronted pop-metal:



Then below is one of their older songs: "Sister Nightfall". Observe the difference. This one is heavier, far more complex, longer, more powerful and has growling vocals:



Note that I'm not putting the first song down. I like it for what it is. And I'm not one of these metal-head bigots who calls everything that isn't up to their standards "pop rubbish" that only a 12 year old child could like. But I do think it's interesting the way songwriter Morten Veland became bored with writing the highly complex, ambitious music he began his career with and settled for something far easier. You wouldn't know they were by the same band and written by the same man.

No comments: