Thursday 4 September 2008

Yet Another Big Brother "Racism" Row

"What is it the say about those inscrutable Chinese?"

Yes, seriously.

This time it's Wendy Richard in the doghouse. The former Eastenders actress was appearing on comment show Big Brother's Little Brother when she appeared to make a "racially insensitive" remark about Thai housemate Kathreya.

Richard said: "I was a big fan of Kat, and we would discuss it amongst our friends and they said she is not right. I looked at her through different eyes, and I have to admit they were right and I was wrong. She is fake, and she is very cute. What is it they say about these inscrutable Chinese? And she is Thai, but it is all Oriental isn't it? Well, it is to me anyway."

Were these comments rather silly? Yes. But were they racist? No. After all, if Richards was really a racist she wouldn't have been a "fan" of Kathreya - whoever the hell she is - in the first place.

No comments: