Saturday 25 August 2007

And Another Welcome Back

Yes, I am back again after my second holiday in two months (some get the luck...). This time I've been on a cruise around the Mediterranean. The ship was superb and we visited some marvelous, and famous, places. I think it's some achievement when I say that - in the space of one week - I saw the Roman Colosseum, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the race track of Monaco. Not bad for sightseeing. The only problem was...STINKING WEATHER! I understand the weather's been pretty awful here in Blighty while I was away, but the Mediterranean climate was only marginally better (I blame all that global warming...ahem...). Much of the time it was cloudy and overcast, and on a Menorcan beach yesterday it rained! Still, I had a lovely time and would love to do something like that again.

On an unrelated note, while I was there I read and finished the second Deathstalker saga by Simon Green. I reviewed the first series here a while back, and heartily enjoyed it. This trilogy continues and completes the story and brings everything full circle. While I found it to not be as good as the first series, it still has its moments, including some absolutely mind-blowing twists and revelations towards the tail-end of the trilogy, coupled with Green's trademark humour and wit. Deathstalker has actually become my favourite sci-fi series. While many people will see it as pure popcorn fun (which is what it is and what it was primarily intended to be), I actually ended up finding it to be quite emotionally engaging. I would recommend it to anyone.

So that's it for now. Normal race-related blogging will resume on Monday. See ya around.

No comments: